For kids ages 5-8
A fun, supportive introduction to yoga and mindfulness, kid-style!
“Yoga and mindfulness for children promotes resilience, positive perceptions, good health habits and mindful awareness, empowering children to excel at school, at home and in life.” ~ Lisa Flynn, Founder and CEO of ChildLight Yoga and author of Yoga for Children.
In this fun and engaging program, children will stretch, move and grow physically, socially and emotionally as they learn to connect within as well as with others, while having a ton of fun.
- Explore a variety of engaging and creative yoga-based activities including individual, partner and team poses designed to build strength, flexibility, balance and overall body awareness
- Learn a variety of breathing exercises for energizing and calming, improving emotional awareness and self-regulation skills (don’t forget to ask your child to teach YOU Countdown to Calm Breath, the next time you feel yourself getting out of balance!)
- Enjoy music and games as they build social awareness and skills while practicing responsible decision making
- Learn yoga principles for children, universal concepts for healthy and compassionate living, supporting social and emotional learning
- Practice relaxation and visualization techniques and other strategies for finding calm
- Express themselves creatively through reflective journaling, art and other creative activities
- Make new friends
- Gain confidence, and have a ton of FUN!
During each seasonal session (fall, winter, spring), we will explore concepts such as peace, respect, gratitude and healthy living, expanding upon them as children become capable of deeper awareness and comprehension. As children complete sessions and activities related to given concepts, they earn unique pins to affix to a lanyard that they will design themselves! In this way children enjoy a sense of accomplishment and progression as they explore ideas related to a positive and healthy lifestyle.
What to Bring/Wear:
Though we do have yoga mats available for use at the studio, it is recommended that you bring your own yoga mat to prevent the spread of germs. Note that we have mats available in the boutique for as little as $10. As well, please have your child bring along a refillable water bottle with a spouted lid. Dress for movement. Tights are not recommended.
FAQ: Why session based classes for this age group, versus drop-in?
We engage children in yoga practice in ways that are meaningful, appropriate, and inviting to them! This means our classes will look quite different from an adult yoga class (no experience necessary!) as we regularly incorporate music, creative movement, props, stories, games, etc. Children THRIVE on repetition, familiarity, and predictability and to honor this we unfortunately do not offer a drop-in option for Yoga and Mindfulness for Kids classes.
The session-based classes provide children with the opportunity they need to become familiar with the instructor, the group, and the routine established in class. This truly makes a difference in the atmosphere of the class and foster's children's confidence, participation, and overall well-being. If you find after a few classes that it's truly not a good fit for your family, please talk to the instructor or the office and we'll gladly work with you. We strive to make our young yogi's practice fulfilling for them!
Yoga for Children: 200+ Yoga Poses, Breathing Exercises and Meditations for Healthier, Happier, More Resilient Children, by Lisa Flynn
"Play with the practices in this book and bolster your child's resilience and self-esteem as you enhance your relationship." ~ Amy Weintraub
Check out our blog, The Kids Yoga Resource!